Wednesday, February 3, 2010

How the juice came to be

Some of you may wonder how the juice came to be. Well, it happened about 6 years ago, my senior year at Ohio U. During a January evening out at a local watering hole, my roommate Kyle saw a poster for "Friday Night Fights" and was adamant about me signing up. Kyle is the type of guy that some would call an instigator. Seriously, Kyle loves to get people into things that he would never do himself but thinks will be funny to watch. I took down the number to call to get signed up, but wasn't totally sold on the thought of letting someone punch me in the face for the enjoyment of others.
A few days passed and Kyle didn't let up in his excitement to see me get pummeled. Maybe he was mad at me and didn't want to take on the chore of hitting me himself? At any rate, I finally called the # and got the information on getting dialed in as one of the fighters for OU's return of Friday Night Fights. We trained a couple of times a week, nothing much, just some sprints and minimal sparring. As the event got closer we were told to make sure we had a proper name for the Fights, so I let my mind get to work and had some discussions with close friends on what sounded good. I came up with Joe "The Juice." Doesn't that have a nice ring to it? I mean come on, "The Juice is Loose!"
Fight Night came and went, I've had many journey's from that time to now, and I intend on beginning to log some of those past journey's, maybe a few tall tales, and also, the current state of affairs with all things "Juice."
By the way, "The Juice" retired after that fight, but I'll have you know, He won by TKO, ref's stoppage in the 3rd round. When I have the opportunity I'll upload the video of my heroic Rocky style battle of coming from knocked down and nearly knocked out to the glorious taste of sweet victory.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hell yeah the Juice is Loose. Can't wait to see what comes next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! Looking forward to the tall tales. You definitely need to upload that video. Can we call you Juice at a.m. XFit?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sookie,

    Sure can, as long as you don't hook your heels on sit ups any more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I claim innocence on knowing this was a XFit no-no! It was only for part of one round, but now I feel like a cheat. I want a do-over!

    ReplyDelete